Thursday, March 8, 2007

Scorsese

Welcome to Stab Film!!!

I have been wanting to get this up for a couple of months now and here it is (OK, maybe I should edit that, but what fun is life without double meaning?).

I don't claim to be a great writer or have the correct opinions on everything, but I love film and I could talk for days on end about it, so that's just what I'm going to do.

The first topic of my first personal blog is Mr. Scorsese. When he won the academy award for Best Director, I jumped up out of my chair and jumped for joy like John Elway had come out of retirement and just threw the Super Bowl winning touchdown for the Broncos. Check out the win on YouTube:



It seems that NOT watching the Oscars is in lately. Two people expressed with pride to me that they would not want to watch a bunch of rich people see who gets the big lame award and toot their own horns. What people don't realize is that the Oscars are bigger than these celebrities. It is not about them and it is not about the lows our society has sunk to in regards to celebrity worship. The Oscars are about art. The highest form of art in our civilization today. Film making is a craft which takes the vision of one to several people and spreads out the implementation of making a film to a large group of very talented professionals. Just like a sports team though, it is only as good as the person leading the way. The director.

At the apex of his craft in every aspect is Scorsese. He not only has the vision and talent, but he has the demeanor and personality to pull together the crew and actors to bring a screenplay to life.

After he won, I also talked friends and heard many critics say they did not think he necessarily deserved an Oscar for this film but was awarded based on the fact that he had not won for such great films as Raging Bull(1980) and Goodfellas(1990). I'm not ever going to argue that he should have won for both of these (particularly for Goodfellas going against Dances With Wolves). I will defend that The Departed(2006) had every right to win for best director and Best Picture.



Scorsese deserved to win Best Director for The Departed. Most arguments I hear have nothing to do with the competition he was up against this year, but compare The Departed with Scorsese's past films. Check out, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17351684/

He was not competing with himself. It is also my opinion that you cannot compare a majority of Scorsese's pictures to one another and especially to other films. I am not saying there are not films being made of the same caliber, or filmmakers of the same caliber. Martin Scorsese is a student of film who is constantly trying to re-define himself and has become the best filmmaker we will probably ever see. If we are putting Martin up against any other director today, there is no competition.

As for Best Picture, it was a very tight field this year with some great films about important subject matter, but in the end, The Departed was as good or better a film as any of them.

OK, that's the end of my essay. I hope you like it and I hope you agree. If not, then that's OK too. I'm not a film snob like my sister likes to think I am.

11 comments:

Kos said...

I hooked you up on my blog, dude. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to BlogWorld! It's wild...it's hairy...it's batshit insanity 24/7. You'll have fun here.

Any friend of Jeff's is a friend of mine! (Bet Jeff wishes I wouldn't say that.)

Folly said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere. Happy blogging and don't put up with any crap from the trolls.

Alan Hope said...

The Oscars have nothing to do with art, which is why Scorsese didn't win for Raging Bull. And movies are not the "highest form of art" today or any other day. But aside from that, nice debut.

Folly said...

Like I said, don't put up with any crap from the trolls.

Looney said...

Hey, welcome to blogland. I'm linking you up. And I agree with you about the Oscars for the most part. Alan is plain wrong. The Oscars are, for the most part about art, or they would just give the awards to the highest grossing film of the year.

OTOH, they have a tendency to pander to certain personalities, and the popularity contest peeks through. The award for Melissa Etheridge was the most glaring example. The song is shit. It's forgettable and sounds like all of her B tracks. But it was in Al's movie, so it got the nod. Any of the three songs from Dreamgirls would drive Melissa's song right out of your head.

And I tend to think that Marty's award was, in a way, as much about Goodfellas (which should certainly have won) and about Raging Bull as it was about The Departed.

Okay, off to add you.

Kos said...

You'll love having Alan (aka Sour Grapes) around, dude. Though as you can see, he doesn't really have any strong opinions of his own.

Kos said...

Oh, and Looney is a big-time film buff too, so check him out.

O' Tim said...

I am here to say that I am not afraid to tell you that you're full of shit.

Oh, and WELCOME ! !

JD said...

As a member of the Scorsese-Is-A-Film-God fanclub, all I could say on Oscar night was "It's about fucking time."

Cheezy said...

Hi Brad, Jeff told me to show up and tell you that you're full of shit, but goddammit if you're not making sense to me! Scorsese really is the man!